Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thankfulness...no matter WHAT


As I was reading today's devotional it really hit home. It was about being thankful, NO MATTER our circumstances. As we go through trials and tragedies, it feels, during those events, that there is nothing to be thankful for, but that is not true. The verse today was Psalms 30 and I've picked out some of the highlights that the Lord used to speak to me. "I will exalt you, O Lord, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me, " To me, Satan-our ultimate enemy- would like nothing better than to gloat over our turning from God during difficult times because we feel He's abandoned us or not answered our prayers, or relationships fail during difficult times, anything not of God that happens basically. But the Lord is right there with us in our lowest low. "...O Lord, my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. You brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit." I know that grief is a life-long process, however, I know the Lord did heal my heart to be open and receptive to His perfect plan for my life, and our family's and to accept that His ways are not mine, and He healed any doubt that may have been swirling around in my head about His love for me, since this tragedy of Layah's death was allowed to happen. He healed my womb, with the help of medical advancements, research, and amazing specialized physicians. He kept me from becoming consumed with depression, guilt, failure, anger, bitterness, doubt, etc. "....weeping remains for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning" I researched the word day used in Hebrew, which is "Yom" and in referenced, the word can denote 1) the period of light, as in contrast to the period of darkness, 2)the period of 24 hours, 3) a vague "time", 4) a point of time, 5) a year. So the word "Yom" in Hebrew can be used anywhere from a 12 hour period, to a year, or even a vague 'time period'.
The word night in Latin (which would have been used in Psalm) is vesperum, and particularly in this part of the verse, "weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning", and in Latin it is "Ad vesperum demorabitur fletus et ad matutinum laetita". I have been trying to get some of the meanings of the word vesperum, but there are many different variations of Latin. Nevertheless, it was plainly clear to me, that today the importance was to remember there is no specified time of weeping, in any difficult circumstance, BUT the next verse is just as important. "When I felt secure, I said, 'I will never be shaken. Oh Lord, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm...." To me, David knew that no matter what situation his "weeping" was for, he would be secure in the Lord. David later went on to say, "You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent, O Lord, my God, I will give you thanks forever". David experienced much loss, and threats on his life, but through it all, he could still praise the Lord with these words of praise and thanksgiving.
The devotional said, "suffering eventually touches us all. And in times of difficulty, thankfulness is usually not our first response." which is obvious, but it went on suggesting that God looks pleasingly at us when we find reasons to be thankful despite our bad circumstances, since He holds us close, always.

Today I pray, Lord, give me that kind of thankfulness- no matter what comes our way. Help us to praise you through it all. After all, your sacrifice on the cross, is enough cause for us to be thankful, the precious gift of salvation, for the rest of our days.

"Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when the earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed."- Cushing

Faithfully His,

Mika

No comments:

Post a Comment