Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blessed with Sons & OB update


So, today I have my weekly OB appointment, now with Joey Biggio, (I'll be calling him Joey in my blog). I'm excited just to see what growth Luke's had in 1 weeks. His been bouncing around in there, so I know he's still got lots of growing to do. I read a passage today about children, that many of you are familiar with, but this passage seemed to be particularly about sons.

Psalm 127:3-5 " Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."


I thought about that word, heritage, and thought some of the definitions were interesting, (side note: of course, I don't know exactly what Hebrew word, or Greek word was used in this particular passage, but the word heritage is listed in the NIV) . One of the meanings was, "Property that is or can be inherited; an inheritance.", another said, "Something that is passed down from preceding generations". As I thought about it, I was reminded that our sons and daughters are not ours. They are the property of our Heavenly Father, "inherited" by us. Because of my upbringing, I know the vital importance of having a man of God, as an earthly father. He is to be the head, the leader, the protector, and the provider of our home. So, reading the part about arrows in the hand of a warrior, I reflected on the fact that as parents, we are suppose to direct our sons into the favor of God and man. We must "aim" them at the example of our Savior, and eventually, let it go. If we have lined up the "arrow" with the target, focus, and have practiced, the arrow is most likely to hit the "mark", to me ,the mark of being a man that has been taught the ways of our God, Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not turn from it".

I also went and looked up, the phrase, "...whose quiver is full", and it is a term regarding when bow hunting, the arrows are carried in a tubular item called a "quiver". I had always thought that a "quiver" meant 5, but as I read about this phrase, a "quiver full" would be as many arrows as can fit in that particular quiver. I don't know why this interests me, but I guess in some ways, I felt that I may never have a "quiver full" if 5 was the magic number. (I should have know, God wouldn't have specified a number, but that was in my crazy brain). So, I know, the Lord will bless and provide, biologically, or through adoption, as many as He determines, will give us a full "quiver".

So, at my appointment today, it was planned for me to have the standard glucose testing next week. Now, if I came back as having gestational diabetes, or any kind of issues metabolizing glucose, we'd have some serious problems. I told Joey, that and said, "if that happened, you'd have to write another case study to publish", kidding of course. For those of you who haven't read prior blog posts, I have a metabolic myopathy called CPT2, (yes you can google it), which is an autosomal recessive gene-every child my parents had together would have it. My brother and I both have it. I am in the minority because this deficiency is 80% male. We are to have 70% carbohydrate diets, and low fat, (although that part I don't always stick too). Our bodies have a more difficult time breaking down fats and proteins as stored energy, and at times, due to certain triggers like fasting, extreme temperatures, viruses, vomiting\dehydration, over exercising or over activity, lack of sleep, or even just stress, can cause our bodies to use the muscle tissue as fuel instead of fats and proteins that are stored in the body. This is extremely painful, when a "crisis" (what we call the episodes of the muscle breakdown, the medical term is rhabdomyolysis) happens, as your body is literally eating its own muscles for fuel. The urine can turn black, like tea or worse, coffee, which means the kidneys are over worked and can no longer filter the muscle tissue-which causes the discoloration. This can lead to kidney failure, temporary or permanent. My brother had temporary kidney failure as a teenager, fortunately, I have been able to avoid that, even having some severe crisis with hospitalization. So, anyway, my body, would probably not survive long without sugar.

During my apt I asked Joey about how long we will continue to measure my cervical length by ultrasound. He said that this apt, at 24.6 would most likely be it. The reason being, because at this point, if I started having any shortening of it, or other complications, I would just be put on bed rest. So we checked and the cervix was measuring 3.92 cm, (normal is b\t 3.5-4). Luke gave us some good shots of his feet, and I measured 25.5, so this indicates Luke is already a big baby! I asked Joey about the goal, in weeks, for us to get to. Obviously we want to get as far as we can. He was under the impression that my c-section with Tobi was the normal lower uterine (horizontal incision in the uterus) kind, based on what he was seeing in my chart. However, Dr. Ramsey and I had always thought that I had a classical section-which are more dangerous because of more blood loss, and the incision is made vertical, in the upper part of the uterus. The reason for this type of section is based on Tobi being breech at 26 weeks and in the birth canal. Joey said that I could technically go to 39 weeks with Luke if I had the lower uterine section. Well, you know me, I got home and pulled some medical records from Layah's birth, and the case study I mentioned was published, and both indicated I had a classical section. Therefore, I would NOT be able to go past 36 weeks because of the risk of uterine rupture if I was to go in to full-blown, active labor. So, I ordered the operative report myself, for that day, 090802, when Tobi was born, to make sure. I don't want any chances on how far I can go. If I am right, and I will have another classical section at 36 weeks, I will have an amniocentisis to make sure Luke's lungs are ready for the outside world. Obviously I would love to go to 40 weeks, but with my body, that is not possible. So, all is well. Please continue to pray for me through this journey of faith.

Faithfully His,

Mika

No comments:

Post a Comment