Thursday, May 7, 2009

Nothing clearer than His light in me

This morning I read 1 Thessalonians 1:2-5. For we know brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction." As I read the devotional I was reminded that as Christians, we are commanded to share the gospel-the "Great Commission". Growing up, I used to be so terrified to do that because I always thought I wouldn't say the right thing, or that I wouldn't be able to stand up to the person's argument, or give them specific verses during the conversation. I just knew I would turn him\her farther away from God, rather than bringing Him to them. Now, as an adult, and with all the things I've been through growing up, my parents' divorce at an early age, my eating disorder that caused me to miss out on so much in high school and college, me & Derok's rare metabolic disease, CPT2, Tobi's traumatic birth, Layah's life and death, I realize that I don't have to "preach" to individuals. I simply have to tell them my story, and what all He's done in my life and through my life. The devotional was talking about advertisement and there's no better marketing tip than to have customers recommend a product to a friend or family member. One professor of advertising said, "It's human nature to talk about the things that excite us"! What else do we have to do but just share who our Father is to us! You don't have to preach hell-fire and brimstone, and judgement. You simply have to show them where you were, what you've been through, and who you are now. It's just like the blind man said, simply, I don't know what happen, but I was once blind and now I see. That's it, a changed life is all it takes. Now I wasn't so thrilled going through these struggles in my life, and prayed that He would "remove this thorn in my flesh" but it wasn't removed when I wanted it, and the way I wanted it. I learned to live with it and then, didn't notice, but one day the "thorn" was gone, and I was strengthened-spiritually. I could share with others His power, His love, His mercy, (oh boy His mercy!), and His amazing, amazing grace. I think so many times followers of Christ get caught up in the duty of sharing the gospel, that we forget why we want them to believe in the first place. Sure we don't want our friend and loved ones, and even strangers, to be eternally separated from God, but that's just a portion of it. That part comes afterwards, because once we give our lives to Him, and 100% of our heart, and just admit how messed up we are, and need Him, He will change us. We don't change ourselves. He does that. For some, old habits and addictions are healed instantly, others may continue to struggle, but eventually, we look back at that "thorn" and can share our life's journey to the point we are currently in, to be that salt and light to a desperate world. On a different topic, that I will tie back to this point, I don't know your political view, and I don't claim to be Republican or Democrat, I simply vote who has the most biblical principals, and unfortunately, sometimes for both parties, it's very few. I obvious believe life begins at conception, marriage is a sanctified union between a man and woman, I believe that war is necessary at times to defend the freedom that is never free, and I believe that our goverment is way too involved in our lives, and was never intended to be that way. Today is the National Day of prayer. Before it was made official, it actually began in 1775. Since it was created as a floating holiday in 1952, from what I know, each president for the past 57 years have made a declaration, personally observing this very important day. However, from what I hear and am very disturbed by, although not in the least bit surprised, from our current president, he has chosen to "tone down" or has decided that there will be no service in the East Room, like there has been for the past 8 years. Back to what I first began talking about, you can see each of our beliefs not solely by our words, but by our actions, and this has been clear from him from his campaign. He has not lied to us about who he is, or what he believes, which to me is scarry. If you have the time, look up what President Reagan read in the early 80's when he was in office, and was honoring the National Day of Prayer. It is a very significant contrast. At the same time I am very anxious to bring this new life into the world, I am very nervous for my child to have to face all of this Christianity persecution we face in today's society. We are told that Christians are suppose to be "tolerant" but most times, we are the ones who are not to be tolerated. I believe our founding fathers would role over in their graves at many of the laws and practices that our county have defaulted to, and have become "norm" over the past say 10 years. To say that we are not a Christian, Jewish, or any specific religious nation is a slap in the face at all that our forefathers did, and came here for. THEY CAME TO AMERICA, TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE OUR GOD, YAHWEH. Christianity is the very roots of America. It's on our currency, in our pledge, which sadly may soon be "intolerable". But in saying all this, does that mean that we need to just accept this is the way of life now and we can not boldly believe Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to eternal freedom and life? NO!!! Now more than every, we must be excited about our faith, and in these desperate times, when so many have lost so much, the nation is searching for hope, and we are to show them, through our life and where we found Hope, Who brings that constant hope that no economic disaster or natural disaster can waiver.

Faithfully His,

Mika

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I love your insight. I truly feel a closeness after reading your words. Thank you for taking the time to share. You could so be a preacher if you wanted to be. I admire your wisdom and I too believe sharing our excitement in HIM is the easiest way to "hook" people. I've never thought of it like that before, but truly the things we love the most and are excited to share, others want some of it. Still praying for you ALL THE TIME!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! Your sis, Josephine

    ReplyDelete